Before purchasing your License from the raspberry pi shop you will need your XBMC Media Center serial number. This is quite simple to do.
Get Your XBMC Media Center Serial Number
- Boot UP your XBMC Media Center.
- From Main Screen go to SYSTEM > System info > Hardware
- Note your serial number - should be something like 000000000ffae29e.
Once you have your Serial number go to http://www.raspberrypi.com/vc-1-license-key/ fill in the form and pay your money. 2-3 days later you will get an email with your new License code.
Add your License to your XBMC Media Center
- Insert your SD card in to your PC or MAC etc.
- Open up your SD card in your file viewer of choice.
- Open config.txt.
- Scroll down until you find # decode_WVC1=0×00000000.
- Delete the #.
- Change the 0×00000000 to your new license.
- Click save.
- POP the SD card back in your PI and reboot.
Test your License
This process uses SSH, i would suggest you use a program called putty get it from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
Default SSH username and password for XBMC Media Center is username = root and password = openelec
Get your IP address from SYSTEM > System info > Network
- SSH into your Pi.
- Type “vcgencmd codec_enabled WVC1″ without quotes.
You will then get either a WVC1=enabled or WVC1=disabled.